4 corners of hip hop (origin's of todays cultures)

this is just to discuss the different types of fans in the hip hop/rap cultures......obviously for numerous reasons each has a different sound and beginnin' to influence their upbringin':

east coast: so called 'origins' of hip hop, like mecca, new york would be the breedin' ground for its birth....has a raw feel to the music yet pure

west coast: (side note: I always thought it funny how the west coasts biggest represtener was from new york, talkin' bout pac), computerized vocal hooks, melodic, funky bass lines, to me the west coast not necessarily started gangsta rap, but brought it into the mainstream to keep 'it', hip hop, alive.......N.W.A. made a real difference when they came out, but I always saw DJ Quik as sort of the godfather of west coast rap......

south: chopped n' screwed, probably more known now as 'crunk' music......today's hottest comodity within' hip hop and overfloodin' the market with club music......

mid-west: this differentiates, in the early 90's bone thugs n' harmony and do or die/twista were really the only ones makin' it or doin' somethin', but since then there has been a radical incline in the amount of artists makin' noise.......introducin' Eminem, D12, Tech N9ne, and a string of others........

popularized icons in hip hop are figures that captured the emotions within' a cultures environment.....my environment bein' the west coast, I feel that culture more over lets say someone from the east coast and for that reason our tastes in hip hop aren't goin' to be the same......i'm not sayin' everything is goin' to be different or that some opinions won't be the same, what i'm sayin' is I see all these "oh why don't u like this person" and usually the answer is somethin' like "oh cuz they suck dick".......it's really usually because of what culture you grew up in that influences ur interest in a certain sound......this isn't to say either that someone from the west coast can't love the shit outta jay-z or krs-one or saigon, 'cuz sometimes the environment in which u were raised can push you to not like that cultures upbringin'.........this was just to shed some light on as to why maybe some people on here like someone or some group that you don't......

ARon

Agreed on almost everything but with the internet, radio, cd's being sold everywhere, these boundaries almost get erased, if you let them. You know what i mean, its not like it was when going out the trunk, and word of mouth was the mose publicity you got. Thats also part of the negative between the Tupac Biggie thing, it set boundaries as to what someone should listen too, which shouldnt happen. This new generation coming up should be more acceptable to everything, but they aint.

agreed' when 2pac and biggie were out, word of mouth was the most common form of advertisement.........with technology advancin' a huge portion since '96, the mixtapes rule internet waves that they didn't have access to, but I'm sure they would have used as they do now............but with the advancement of technology it makes it easy for possibilities to be endless.....nowdays mixtapes can be done by anyone who pretty much has internet.....(i got all the programs i use for free through the net, fl studio 4.1, sound forge 6, cakewalks sonar, and e-logic)......

ARon

I wasn't even talkin like Pac and Biggie, Hip-Hop was big then, im talking like EPMD doin thousands out the trunks, when bootleggers was the only way to get an album and so on, pre 90's and shit.

yeah, i used them for an example, 'cuz pac would probably takin' advantage of the mixtape scene, still kinda is with everyone samplin' him and biggie..........but yeah that shit goes into even different genres outside of rap and people who don't even rap that just straight bootleg

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.