Here's my argument for '95 as the best year in hip-hop (I still don't know whether I liked '95 or '96 better, I'll make a '96 thread when I get a chance). thank you to 7 Syns for inspiring me:

2Pac-Me Against the World (Will always be my favorite 'Pac record ever, even if it wasn't his best record)

BG Knoccout & Dre'sta-Real Brothas (Underrated record from Eazy's sidekicks)

Bone Thugs N' Harmony-E. 1999 Eternal (The atmosphere of this record is something I've never heard since, very eerie record, and Bone's best)

Brotha Lynch Hung-Season of da Siccness (Lynch's masterpiece)

DJ Quik-Safe + Sound (Quik never sounded tighter musically, and rap-wise than he did on this record, and he never sounded like he did here again)

Tha Dogg Pound-Dogg Food (Overlooked gem in Death Row's catalog)

The Dove Shack-This is the Shack (Slept on record from one of Warren's better groups)

E-40-In a Major Way ('40's proper debut, "1 Luv" is my favorite song of his to date)

Kool G. Rap-4, 5, 6 (My personal favorite Kool G. Rap record, good collab w/ Nas on it, as well)

The Lunix-Operation Stackola ("I Got 5 On It" blew the hll up in '95)

Mack 10-s/t (Mack's only really solid record)

Naughty By Nature-Poverty's Paradise (Won a Grammy that year)

The Pharcyde-Labcabincalifornia (Overall tighter record than their 1st)

The Roots-Do You Want More?!?!?! (My personal favorite Roots record, Black Thought sounded hungry throughout the record)

Tha Twinz-Conversation (VERY slept on, "Eastside LB" is my favorite Warren production of all-time)

Friday soundtrack ("Keep Their Heads Ringin'")

The Show soundtrack (Possibly the best lineup ever on a soundtrack)

Da 5 Footaz-The Lost Scrolls (unreleased, solid as hell, though)

If nothing else, it might have been the strongest year for West Coast hip-hop (or maybe it was '96 again).

Yep, and Jayo was on The Show soundtrack as well.

I'll also give some Wu love before I forget, '95 Wu records:

GZA-Liquid Swords
ODB-Return to the 36 Chambers
Raekwon-Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

I'm thinking more & more than '95 was THE year...

Wow, sweetie, where'd that come from? Wasn't aware I was even correcting myself. I just haven't owned either of those Wu records in a few years.

As far as Cypress Hill goes, Temples of Boom wasn't a great record, you'll never see a Mobb Deep record on my list, and "Gangsta's Paradise"? Uh, yeah...

AmerikazMost

KanDeeMan said:
Wow, sweetie, where'd that come from? Wasn't aware I was even correcting myself. I just haven't owned either of those Wu records in a few years.

As far as Cypress Hill goes, Temples of Boom wasn't a great record, you'll never see a Mobb Deep record on my list, and "Gangsta's Paradise"? Uh, yeah...
I had reprimanded the creator of this thread for forgetting the Wu records without realizing that the person who added them later was indeed the creator.

That's what I meant by you correcting yourself.

KanDeeMan said:
Here's my argument for '95 as the best year in hip-hop (I still don't know whether I liked '95 or '96 better, I'll make a '96 thread when I get a chance). thank you to 7 Syns for inspiring me:

2Pac-Me Against the World (Will always be my favorite 'Pac record ever, even if it wasn't his best record)

BG Knoccout & Dre'sta-Real Brothas (Underrated record from Eazy's sidekicks)

Bone Thugs N' Harmony-E. 1999 Eternal (The atmosphere of this record is something I've never heard since, very eerie record, and Bone's best)

Brotha Lynch Hung-Season of da Siccness (Lynch's masterpiece)

DJ Quik-Safe + Sound (Quik never sounded tighter musically, and rap-wise than he did on this record, and he never sounded like he did here again)

Tha Dogg Pound-Dogg Food (Overlooked gem in Death Row's catalog)

The Dove Shack-This is the Shack (Slept on record from one of Warren's better groups)

E-40-In a Major Way ('40's proper debut, "1 Luv" is my favorite song of his to date)

Kool G. Rap-4, 5, 6 (My personal favorite Kool G. Rap record, good collab w/ Nas on it, as well)

The Lunix-Operation Stackola ("I Got 5 On It" blew the hll up in '95)

Mack 10-s/t (Mack's only really solid record)

Naughty By Nature-Poverty's Paradise (Won a Grammy that year)

The Pharcyde-Labcabincalifornia (Overall tighter record than their 1st)

The Roots-Do You Want More?!?!?! (My personal favorite Roots record, Black Thought sounded hungry throughout the record)

Tha Twinz-Conversation (VERY slept on, "Eastside LB" is my favorite Warren production of all-time)

Friday soundtrack ("Keep Their Heads Ringin'")

The Show soundtrack (Possibly the best lineup ever on a soundtrack)

Da 5 Footaz-The Lost Scrolls (unreleased, solid as hell, though)

If nothing else, it might have been the strongest year for West Coast hip-hop (or maybe it was '96 again).
I mostly agree altough 93 and 94 r also rich hiphop years, but ur forgettin 2 crucial albums:

Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous (straight classic, no fillers, one of the best albums ever)
Smif-N-Wessun - Dah Shinin (second classic in line from BCC)

KanDeeMan said:
TOB wasn't a great record :confused: ??? man that's one of, if not THE best record that Cypress brought to us. Beats r just untouchable and lyrics r all original and fit the beats perfectly.

and Mobb Deeps The Infamous is a true classic with much more quality songs than just Survival of the fittest and Shook Ones

And Gangstas Paradise is just a good hiphop album

95- all the way live man.

Didnt Method Man -TICAL come out at that time? I can remember singin youre all that i need ill be there for you, if u keep it real with me ill keep it real with you all summer long

edit- was that 94, going into 95

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.