7 Syns

Illmatic, we know.
Ready To Die, we know.
Resurrection, we know.
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, we know.
Dare Iz A Darkside, we know.
Tical, we know.

1994 has always been considered one of the premier years in hip-hop, if not the best year period. Due to a release of records, which were, defined by lyrical brilliance and artistic freedom backed by an evolving sound post-Chronic & '36 Chambers the result was an influx of now-called classic albums and for the most part, the start of what were to become legendary careers.

However, there have always been records from 1994 we put infront of other which on their own right were just as brilliant. Just as good. Just as dope. So in this thread I want people to step outside the box of typical and name some albums which they love, that, were made in 1994.

Like for example

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - The Main Ingredient, the criminally slept-on sophomore release by the emcee/producer-dj duo which had such classic cuts like the title track, Searching just to name a few.

then

Digable Planets - Blowout Comb, very rarely mentioned and thus I think it's been forgotten to the newer generation. This is a GREAT album and I am shamed to say I haven't personally heard it in about 6 years.:angry:

Above The Law, Uncle Same's Curse...

Here is an already compiled link to a list, which, I think is just dope and sums up what im trying to say perfectly. There's albums here which I myself and Im sure even the most devoted hheads like roaches have forgotten about.

Enjoy & respect.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/diction/1994_hip_hop/

peace.

nice find, thanks. Digable Planets are kinda weird tho. Serious hippy feel to their shit. Its not bad tho. I know the female MC calls herself "lady bug".

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Creepin On Ah Come Up

Lil 1/2 Dead
The Dead Has Arisen

MC Eiht
We Come Strapped

O.C. (Omar Cradle)
Word...Life

Rappin' 4-tay
Don't Fight the Feelin'

Scarface
The Diary (1994)

Seagram
Reality Check (

Thug Life
Volume 1

Warren G
Regulate... G Funk Era

damn it was a good year

ArtsyGirl

Thug Life & Warren G
N shit I forgot about Paris, I was listenin to his shit few years ago n I've kinda stopped.. Nice thread. 94 was a great year!

Imo, no year in hip hop was greater than 1996. I feel like 94 or 95 are runner ups behind 1996. But I do agree that 94' was the truth.

But in 96, you had "It Was Written", "Hell On Earth", "Reasonable Doubt", "Makaveli, 7 Day Theory", and so many classics. That year was like a gap between what we see and hear today in videos and music and the old school scene of hip hop. It was somewhat like a transition year or something. After 1996, hip hop music wasn't the same again imo.

Da_Funk

Bombsquad said:
Imo, no year in hip hop was greater than 1996. I feel like 94 or 95 are runner ups behind 1996. But I do agree that 94' was the truth.

But in 96, you had "It Was Written", "Hell On Earth", "Reasonable Doubt", "Makaveli, 7 Day Theory", and so many classics. That year was like a gap between what we see and hear today in videos and music and the old school scene of hip hop. It was somewhat like a transition year or something. After 1996, hip hop music wasn't the same again imo.
Why do oyu put like 2/3 of every post in bold?

7 Syns said:
Here is an already compiled link to a list, which, I think is just dope and sums up what im trying to say perfectly.
Whilst some dope LP's are featured here, many of them don’t command enough authority to draw attention to the year in question and a large proportion of albums are nothing but average releases. Nonetheless, kudos for the list and refreshing topic of discussion.

roaches

I always thought Tical was kinda weak, especially considering the expectations for Method Man at the time. I'd take 6 Feet Deep over it any day.

AmerikazMost

Probably the greatest year in hip-hop, and undoubtedly top 3.

Love that Bone Thugs EP and Jeru's album.

I've only purchased four albums from '94 though (Illmatic, Ready to Die, Thug Life: Volume I, and Hard to Earn). I have a whole lot more on my wish list though. Need to step my game up.

Preach

...aaaand to contribute to the thread; i wasn't into hiphop back in 1994. i was a kiddo back then, music to me was what was shown on mtv. genre meant squat to me. either way, gravediggaz - 6 feet deep, and pete rock and c.l. smooth - the main ingredient are dope to me. there's a bunch of the albums on that list i haven't heard though.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.