AmerikazMost

Now I'm not sure if it outdoes 1994, but I'm partial to 1988. Some of my favorite MC's dropped, and some of the greatest ever. Not to mention EIGHT 5 mic albums (rated when the Source was still reputable too).

2 Hype – Kid ‘N Play

Act a Fool – King T

Born to Be Wild – MC Shan

By All Means Necessary – Boogie Down Productions
"'I'm so-and-so,' 'I'm this,' 'I'm that' / Huh! But they all just wick-wick-WACK"

Critical Beatdown – Ultramagnetic MC’s
"Like a battery, charged, I'm worth the alkaline"

Dynamite – Masters of Ceremony

Eazy-Duz-It – Eazy-E
"Rollin' down the street in my six-four"

Follow the Leader – Eric B. & Rakim
"'Cause you're about to see a disasterous sight / A performance never again performed on the mic"

Girls I Got ‘em Locked – Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud

Goin’ Off – Biz Markie
"They caught the vapors..."

Grab It! – L’Trimm

The Great Adventures of Slick Rick – Slick Rick
"She almost got cut short. You know, scissored / She tried to disrespect who? The Grand Wizard"

He’s the DJ, I’m the Rapper – DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince

In Control, Vol. 1 – Marley Marl

In Full Effect – Mantronix

In Full Gear – Stetsasonic

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back – Public Enemy
"Once again, back is the incredible"

It Takes Two – Robe Base & DJ E-Z Rock
"Ladies love me, girls adore me / I mean, even the ones who never saw me"

Life Is…Too Short – Too Short
"People wanna say it's just my time / Brothers like me had to work for mine"

Long Live the Kane – Big Daddy Kane
"I can sneeze, sniffle or cough / E-e-e-even if I stutter I'm a still come off"

Lyte as a Rock – MC Lyte

Power – Ice-T

Pure Righteousness – Lakim Shabazz

Straight Out the Jungle – The Jungle Brothers
"Jimbrowski is badder than your baddest rope chain / I guess that should explain why we give it the dope name"

Straight Outta Compton – N.W.A
"Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?"

Strictly Business – EPMD
"I'm so swift and that's a natural fact / I'm like Zorro - I'll mark a 'E' on your back"

The World’s Greatest Entertainer – Doug E. Fresh

I was sitting here trying to figure what to say about this list, but didn't know what to say. I think the list and the names speak for themselves.

Fresh for '88 you suckaaaas

Speaking of CORRECTIONS, Straight Outta Compton was '89.

(EDIT: No, wait, was it '88 or '89? I've found a few sites claiming each year, I didn't think it was '88, though, since most of the singles were released in '89)

$hort's Born to Mack had already been a local hit, but was nationally released in '88.

Sir Mix-a-Lot was actually a decent rapper pre-"Baby Got Back", and his debut album Swass came out in '88. "Posse on Broadway" was the CUT.

ARon

Oh man, MY POSSES ON BRAODWAY.
That took it way back.

94 is still my favorite year. 88 did a lot for the music though, a lot.

AmerikazMost

KanDeeMan said:
Speaking of CORRECTIONS, Straight Outta Compton was '89.

(EDIT: No, wait, was it '88 or '89? I've found a few sites claiming each year, I didn't think it was '88, though, since most of the singles were released in '89)

$hort's Born to Mack had already been a local hit, but was nationally released in '88.

Sir Mix-a-Lot was actually a decent rapper pre-"Baby Got Back", and his debut album Swass came out in '88. "Posse on Broadway" was the CUT.
I have the original release, not a remastered re-release. It says 1988 on it. No mention of 1989 anywhere in the credits, though I have seen websites that say '89.

Edit

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.