1979 - 1989, when hip-hop was hip-hop. "The Official Thread"

7 Syns

Im making a special thread for the week, the official "reminicent" old school thread dedicated to 1979 - 1989. The 10 most important years in urban music.

I want you heads to talk about everything and more from that 'classical' era. Here I'll start off my posting my favorites or more popular artists, my favorite records and my favorite songs.

Firstly, the artists. Ive made it a goal of mine to collect as many older school records possible (any format, CD 1st however followed by "12 and then cassette). My adventures to old mom's/pop's (no such thing here but underground cd stores) have found myself with collectives like "It's A Big Daddy Thing", "Follow The Leader", "Colours", "Mama Said Knock You Out", "Strictly Business" and more..

I do though feel disappointment at alot of stores, especially strong hip-hop represented not acknowledging some older emcee's from that era as compared to others. For example, alot of Public Enemy (no complaints from me at all..) but very rare or little Kool G Rap (I need some original NY thug shit..).

Anyways let's start this off..

Artits:
Rakim

Big Daddy Kane

Kool G Rap

[I'll continue more in the next post I make in here]

Records:
It's A Big Daddy Thing.

Let The Rythm Hit 'Em

to be continued.. please add on, include some pics if you can. This is a thread dedicated to the old school but to also teach new school fans about how it is, how it was and how it will always be.

peace.

AmerikazMost

Rakim is amazing. The album that changed hip-hop:

Kane and G Rap are another two of my faves. You didn't say anything about the Blastmaster though.

Since i wasn't around back then, those of you older guys that were around there at time, how was it like back then? what did fans expected from rappers? was it this amount of hate on each other as it is today? was it so much beefs going around like today is?how was the atmosphere in general? what would be the comparison between now and back then?

AmerikazMost

kingtim3 said:
Lol at everyone mentioned thus far being from the late '80s.
well that was the "golden age" for rap. polished flows, creativity, content. it was a great time for hip-hop.

but of course there's kurtis blow and "the breaks." the sugar hill gang broke out with "rapper's delight." afrika bambaataa rocked the planet. doug e. fresh and mc ricky d dropped "la di da di," possibly the most quoted song in hip-hop.

etc etc etc

Big Flipp

7 Syns said:
I do though feel disappointment at alot of stores, especially strong hip-hop represented not acknowledging some older emcee's from that era as compared to others. For example, alot of Public Enemy (no complaints from me at all..) but very rare or little Kool G Rap (I need some original NY thug shit..).

It's funny, out of all the music stores (not counting big outlets like virgin mega in time square) the best music store I found for hiphop was this place in Maine, yes Maine, called Bull Moose. They had every underground record I was looking for and a great selection of old school. you can check them out online at www.bullmoose.com

linx

Staff member

As far as albums go, I could be here all day naming some.

Slick Rick - The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick
Eric B. and Rakim - Paid In Full
Eric B. and Rakim - Follow the Leader
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
EPMD - Strictly Business
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Kool G Rap - Road to the Riches
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Eric B. & Rakim - Let The Rythm Hit 'Em
Big Daddy Kane - It's A Big Daddy Thing

ARon

Cowboy was the first and foremost to rock a crowd. Throw your hands in the air, man all that. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, "Broken glass everywhere."
And back then it wasn't really the whole beef thing, there wasn't all this hate. I think one thing you could compare to beefs today would be biting, shit was bad for a while. Probably the most creative decade, time, genre in music period.

There were beefs, but they were handled on wax, the way it should be. Nobody was getting gunned down over music. Shit was beautiful back then, the music was much more creative, and it wasn't all about money or cars and bling. It was about respect and, more importantly, great music.

My Favorite albums from this time period (I didn't get into rap until the end of the 80's and the beginning of the 90's, so I missed out on some good stuff, but these are all classics):
Eric B. And Rakim - Paid In Full
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Big Daddy Kane - A Taste Of Chocolate (I don't know why, but I've always liked this album better than Long Live The Kane)
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Eazy-E - Eazy Duz It
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick
EPMD - Strictly Business
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation/Fear Of A Black Planet (I love these albums both the same, I can't choose which one is better)
Kool G. Rap - Road To The Riches
And I'm utterly shocked that nobody's mentioned the godfather of gangsta rap, and one of my favorite albums of all time: Ice-T - Power

ARon

Blah your taking it wrong. Im talking beef like people using magazines and press conferences to talk shit more than music. I love battles, i love one emcee going at another, this little beef shit could stop though.

Devious187 said:
There were beefs, but they were handled on wax, the way it should be. Nobody was getting gunned down over music. Shit was beautiful back then, the music was much more creative, and it wasn't all about money or cars and bling. It was about respect and, more importantly, great music.
As i thought it would be like so.

7 Syns

lest we never forget..

^^ he looks kinda like Yayo in the picture... :| But never forget to mention Slick Rick when a thread like this pops up..

peace.

7 Syns

Engine engine number nine, on the new york transit line, if my train goes off the track, pick it up pick it up pick it up!..

Classic!.

peace.

7 Syns said:

Engine engine number nine, on the new york transit line, if my train goes off the track, pick it up pick it up pick it up!..

Classic!.

peace.
Damn, man I totally forgot about Black Sheep, that album is tight!

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.