15 years on death row

FroDawgg

so i go into best buy today to pick up some things i didn't get for christmas, when i come across this death row set, "15 years on death row". at first i didn't think about it cuz i already have DR GH. but then i looked and it had a DVD of 24 videos (including 10 Pac vids, with both versions of Cali Love truly UNEDITED--"hoochies" not removed, and nothing blurred in the remix, meaning uncensored bottles and naked ladies). some videos are edited, some not, and the "Made N-----" is in pretty bad quality.

it also had 6 Best Buy exlusive tracks: "187" (Original), Daz's "Don't try to play me", "Wanted Dead or Alive" (which i already have), "New York New York", "Life is a traffic jam", and Nate Dogg's "Why", both of which i already have". Now it also had "Pain" and "LTTG" both which I have on single already but it's good to have them on a full-length CD.

back to the BB exclusives:the first four i mentioned were listed as on the first disc, the last two on the second. but to my surprise, the first disc didn't have them! i'm gonna take it back to BB, but i hope it's only my copy and not all of them, cuz i'd like to have them.

but other than that, the tracklisting is nice, aside from a few missing tracks, and the video collection is great.

FroDawgg

Confucius87 said:
i saw this in a Best But ad sales paper. i looked at it and just laughed to myself. my mom prolly thought i was crazy lol
it's a pretty good compilation if you don't have all the songs. the only DR albums i have are the chronic, doggystyle, and both of pac's, so it's good to have all the other hits.

^^True, but what is this? Like the 3rd, 4th DR compilation within the last 5 years? Suge would rather keep makin' money off music from artists that are long gone than to get off his fat ass and scout some new talent.

xxx

hows the alt. version of how do u want it??

Is Pain and Loyal.. remastered? That would almost be worth it alone...

anything else stand out from this compilation?

FroDawgg

^^^the alt. versions of How Do U Want It and To Live and Die in LA are just the radio versions. i would think that they would fill in the blanks on HDUWI, but i was wrong. Pain and LTTG sound pretty good, so they might be remastered.

I guess the 187 OG would stand out, but i don't have it on mine. If you don't have it, Daz's Initiated f/ Pac is on here.

Anyway, I returned my copy to BB to get another, hoping the mistake was just that first copy. But so was the new copy, so i guess they're all like that. So I emailed Koch...still awaiting a reply. I'll keep y'all posted.

This is kind of weird. I ordered this online, and it was advertised as featuring the 6 bonus tracks. Really not a big deal as I have the other 6 on CD, but it rounds out the package nicely I guess. Anyway, the copy they sent does not list the bonus songs so it's the standard version, but the first disc DOES have the bonuses. The second does not have the 2 bonuses (Why and Life is a Traffic Jam), so it looks like there was a mix up at the factory.

By the way "To Live and Die in LA" is the video version which is a different vocal recording--the swear words are changed rather than bleeped--and the music is somewhat different. There are some different ad libs as well. So if you're a completist it's nice.

Just out of curiosity, I'm a sucker for liner notes--does the Best Buy packaging have notes on the bonus cuts, or just the regular cuts? Thanks.

FroDawgg

the BB one does have the liner notes on the bonus cuts. you said you have all 6 on CD? so you have the 187 OG, not the single version? the tracklisting for the compilation just says 187, but the liner notes said it was the original recording which was used as a B-side.

I have the first 4 from disc one (187, Wanted, Don't Try, New York New York), my disc two doesn't have any bonuses. I only gave 187 a quick preview to see that it was on there, so I will listen to it to see if it differs from the other 187. I'm not sure on this but I assume the one from the Dr. Dre Chronicles CD is the same version from the One Million Strong album? I'm going to compare it to the one from Chronicles if I don't notice a difference at first.

All right, the bonus 187 from "15 years" is the same as the one from One Million Strong, Chronicles, etc.

Also, the "Let me Ride" on the version with 4 extra songs is NOT the extended 11 minute version, it's the album version. The CD isn't big enough to hold the extended one I guess. It sounds like the extended version is on the standard version though.

FroDawgg

^^^oh, i don't know if it's the same version, but either way, i don't have any versions of the song (other than mp3), so it would be nice to have it, regardless of the version.

btw, still waiting for Koch to respond...

Butt Rubber

More arrogant than SicC
FroDawgg said:
so i go into best buy today to pick up some things i didn't get for christmas, when i come across this death row set, "15 years on death row". at first i didn't think about it cuz i already have DR GH. but then i looked and it had a DVD of 24 videos (including 10 Pac vids, with both versions of Cali Love truly UNEDITED--"hoochies" not removed, and nothing blurred in the remix, meaning uncensored bottles and naked ladies). some videos are edited, some not, and the "Made N-----" is in pretty bad quality.

it also had 6 Best Buy exlusive tracks: "187" (Original), Daz's "Don't try to play me", "Wanted Dead or Alive" (which i already have), "New York New York", "Life is a traffic jam", and Nate Dogg's "Why", both of which i already have". Now it also had "Pain" and "LTTG" both which I have on single already but it's good to have them on a full-length CD.

back to the BB exclusives:the first four i mentioned were listed as on the first disc, the last two on the second. but to my surprise, the first disc didn't have them! i'm gonna take it back to BB, but i hope it's only my copy and not all of them, cuz i'd like to have them.

but other than that, the tracklisting is nice, aside from a few missing tracks, and the video collection is great.
I bought mine at Bullmoose (a local chain in Maine and parts of new england) with the same bonus's

best buy aint got no exclusives, they're just punk bitches

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.