‘Hip-Hop Won’t Stop: The Beat, the Rhymes, The Life’

The Smithsonian Institute has unveiled a new initiative called Hip-Hop Won’t Stop: The Beat, the Rhymes, the Life which will be displayed at the National Museum for American History in Washington.

In Manhattan hip-hop pioneers Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, Ice-T, Fab 5 Freddy and Russell Simmons held a news conference that explained and exemplified the concept behind the exhibition. The aim is to display an extensive archive of hip-hop artifacts that tells the thirty-year story of how hip-hop went from street-corner subculture to a international trend-setter.

Afrika Bambaataa donated a series of items that included two custom-made jackets with the Zulu Nation logo, a Zulu warrior beaded necklace, a USA/Africa necklace, ‘Don't Stop Planet Rock’ posters and a red fez with the "Proud Nuwaubian" logo. Fab 5 Freddy, DJ for Yo! Mtv Raps, donated a vintage boombox. Ice-T gave rare CDs and Grandmaster Flash offered up his holy Technics turntable.

That is just a list of some artifacts set to be displayed; the exhibition will also feature multi media sections and oral histories. The initiative is still in its early stages, but thanks to a grant from music label Universal, it appears it will eventuate as a fitting and relevant testament to hip-hop.

Despite a heavy press presence, Ice-T was as vocal as his Body Count days, “I'm so happy right now because when somebody comes and asks me about my music and about hip-hop, I can say, 'Take your fuckin’ ass to the museum, all right?'"

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.