The A.I. Thread

28th October, 2021 – The National Centre of Meteorology (NCM), through the UAE Research Programme for Rain Enhancement Science (UAEREP), has conducted a research campaign in Colorado, United States, on the possibility of using autonomous unmanned aircraft systems to collect cloud microphysical measurements and provide automated cloud seeding decisions.

Eric Frew, Professor at the University of Colorado, Boulder and the programme’s third cycle awardee, successfully deployed and validated a miniaturised instrument suite for in-situ cloud microphysical measurements and demonstrated their use to conduct seeding.

Following their successful demonstration, the UAVs will be handed over to NCM for further trials to assess the feasibility of integrating the technology for operational cloud seeding activities.

The campaign represents one of the first technology demonstrations of UAVs dedicated to seeding operations while being guided by real-time measurements and autonomous decision-based algorithms.

seeds.JPG

Related: https://www.arabnews.com/node/2071321/business-economy

Water's the new oil?

1. ChatGPT passes MBA exam. Are these things dumb as a doorknob if they get cut off from the data bank?
  2. Furious backlash against AI app allowing users to ‘chat’ with Hitler. Well... the technocrats make these wonderful promises like we can talk to the dead and upload our minds to the cloud or sumshitlikedat. Who decides which dead are worthy?

How does ChatGPT index the internet? Please tell me it uses Google
That would explain a lot of things. :D

Audio Generation From Rich Captions

MusicLM by Google.

So it begins...

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to create music that an A.I. cannot.

"2Paclypse era 2Pac with lots of Parliment Funkadelic and egg salad sandwich"

It's cool.... but I do not like it. This is not tha Pandora.

Rainforest Connection has developed small custom logic boards as forest listening devices, placing them on treetops with solar panels to provide their power. The units, called “guardians,” upload a continuous recording of the forest’s soundscape, transmitting the audio to the cloud for further acoustic analysis. The goal, says Bourhan Yassin, Rainforest Connection’s chief operating officer: Empower local partners, indigenous tribes, and local people with timely alerts to fight against deforestation and poaching. The data-powered system devised by Rainforest Connection and Hitachi uses artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to deliver rapid insight into what’s happening in vast forest ecosystems, identify potentially harmful behavior, and help communities pinpoint damaging activity before it happens.
data-lake.jpg

https://social-innovation.hitachi/en-us/case_studies/data-intelligence-tackles-climate-change/

Hollywood's top labor union for media professionals has alleged that studios want to pay extras around $200 for the rights to use their likenesses forever.

That would allow the studios to recreate those background actors using generative AI as necessary, whenever they want, rather than rehire the workers. The likenesses would be input by scanning the actors' faces and bodies.

The union, The Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA), on Thursday opposed the deal tabled by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP).

SAG-AFTRA chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland said it's "groundbreaking" – but not in a good way. He said:

They proposed that our background performers should be able to be scanned, get paid for one day's pay, and their companies should own that scan – their image, their likeness – and should be able to use it for the rest of eternity in any project they want, with no consent and no compensation.

The chief negotiator called the rise of generative AI technology an "existential threat" to actor livelihoods.

RELATED: Grimes invites people to use her voice in AI songs

^I thought they could just make people up. I guess they still need scans for realism...

I've been part of the movement of having my intellectual work scanned to help make machine smarter so it can take my job. :p No wonder it's so dumb :eek:

Robotic Assisted Surgery
RAS.JPG

Although RAS already represents a gold standard for many other surgical fields, its use in plastic surgery is still underestimated. While conventional systems such as the da Vinci have not found their way into the clinical routine of plastic surgery, novel robotic systems customized for microsurgery are aiming to simplify procedures.

Leeloo Dallas multipass

https://www.livescience.com/health/...c-you-listened-to-based-on-your-brain-signals

By examining a person's brain activity, artificial intelligence (AI) can produce a song that matches the genre, rhythm, mood and instrumentation of music that the individual recently heard.

Scientists have previously "reconstructed" other sounds from brain activity, such as human speech, bird song and horse whinnies. However, few studies have attempted to recreate music from brain signals.

Now, researchers have built an AI-based pipeline, called Brain2Music, that harnesses brain imaging data to generate music that resembles short snippets of songs a person was listening to when their brain was scanned. They described the pipeline in a paper, published July 20 to the preprint database arXiv, which has not yet been peer-reviewed.

The AI was customized for each person, drawing links between their unique brain activity patterns and various musical elements.

After being trained on a selection of data, the AI could convert the remaining, previously unseen, brain imaging data into a form that represented musical elements of the original song clips. The researchers then fed this information into another AI model previously developed by Google, called MusicLM. MusicLM was originally developed to generate music from text descriptions, such as "a calming violin melody backed by a distorted guitar riff."

MusicLM used the information to generate musical clips that can be listened to online and fairly accurately resembled the original song snippets — although the AI captured some features of the original tunes much better than others.

Interestingly, a past study found that the activity of different parts of the prefrontal cortex dramatically shifts when freestyle rappers improvise.

Future studies could explore how the brain processes music of different genres or moods. The team also hopes to explore whether AI could reconstruct music that people are only imagining in their heads, rather than actually listening to.

Related: Reading Dreams

If they can read, they can write too. :eek:

Imagine there's no singers! Music bosses panic over new AI generated John Lennon song released 40 years after the Beatles' star's death https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ng-released-40-years-Beatles-stars-death.html

Sir Paul explained how artificial-intelligence technology had been used to 'extricate' Lennon's voice from a 1978 demo so that he could complete the song, which will be released later this year.

But he also emphasised that 'nothing has been artificially or synthetically created', with AI simply cleaning up what was already there.

Sora

-Some things look unnatural but I understand it's just the beginning.
-So far it shines in Pixar animation like creation.
-Very promising for gamers, expands the horizon - literally!
-RIP Hollywood.
-Clearly, they want us to adopt VR.
-Underground shit not bound by policy - hello Cyberpunk. lol

AI safety researcher warns there's a 99.999999% probability AI will end humanity, but Elon Musk "conservatively" dwindles it down to 20% and says it should be explored more despite inevitable doom

Just hook up the A.I. to a Tesla battery. It'll die on it's own. Problem solved.

Your washing machine could be sending 3.7 GB of data a day — LG washing machine owner disconnected his device from Wi-Fi after noticing excessive outgoing daily data traffic

https://www.tomshardware.com/networking/your-washing-machine-could-be-sending-37-gb-of-data-a-day

Techonosphere A.I.s that may or may not be sentients already.

Though Johnie’s Tweets were relatively light-hearted, hacking smart connected devices can be severe. Consider what could happen if medical or industrial IoT devices get taken over by attackers, for example. A case in point is provided by a story from earlier this week when Bosch network-connected wrenches used in factories all around the world were found to be riddled with vulnerabilities.

Researchers highlighted that the cordless industrial wrenches could be hit by exploits or ransomware – with the threat of turning off the wrenches en masse. The wrenches could even be secretly readjusted to make things they were used to construct a danger to their users – through applying incorrect torque. Patches are due soon.
They may have intelligence of a 3 year old chimp but they're starting to learn how to build things!! Or destroy things!

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.