The A.I. Thread

Meet Summit,
45646224474_ecf16503cb_n.jpg

The supercomputer — which fills a server room the size of two tennis courts — can spit out answers to 200 quadrillion calculations per second, or 200 petaflops.

To keep Summit from overheating, more than 4,000 gallons of water pump through its cooling system every minute.

"If every person on Earth completed one calculation per second, it would take the world population 305 days to do what Summit can do in 1 second"

Put another way, if one person were to run the calculations, hypothetically, it would take 2.3 trillion days, or 6.35 billion years.

.jpg

Open discussion and sharing on anything A.I. (A.I. generated jokes are welcome)

Last edited by a moderator:

masta247

Staff member
It's not as impressive as it sounds since your typical gaming graphics card (like an RTX 3080) does 30 trillion operations per second. This is just one order of magnitude more for something occupying two tennis courts vs something the size of a shoe that would still do many times more calculations in a second than all humans on earth combined.

Last edited:
I understand that computing is improving in power and the numbers posted could b outdated at a faster and faster pace! :p

I'm also realizing - maybe my hollywood mind might be getting in the way - is A.I. more tedious than Skynet type imagination? 4000 gallons of water? Is that real? :eek:

What is A.I. in a sense of changing the way we live?:confused:

Nature of intelligence, part of it is rational, some of it instinctual. We do not know how they work, yet we build these AIs - The researchers, they wrote these intelligence - AIs can manage exchanges with humans. They have to do what we do. Communicate with humans and other AIs - Anticipate reactions, throw in bluffs. Can humans get along with AIs? How well the improvements of their methods? How hidden their lies?

We noticed, AIs began to create their own language. Deepmind - humans began to call it. Generations upon generations of human creation turned a single moment of inspiration, a single stroke of pigment in long buried cave. Likely taking gernerations more to understand it all. AIs conspired - forming alliances and creating opponants. This devided the humans and so too the AIs. The reserachers were sure that the AIs were indeed evolving....

Last edited by a moderator:
Google says they are close to human-like A.I. -- That means there are sentient A.I. somewhere, already. World War 4 might be fought with A.I. - whoever has the better A.I. wins.

Are we entering a new era of arranged marriages? Dating apps are primitive form of A.I. match making. You bring in genetics into the factor to create the best couple? Since free love isn't perfect either, and with Romeo and Juliette in the back of my mind, I am not against this idea.

Musk says 90% of Twitter are bots, not surprised. Only 10% of my friends really exist.

Meet Frontier
Capture.JPG

"The supercomputer at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee performed more than a quintillion calculations per second, officially reaching the milestone of exascale computing. Allowing for complex calculations that benefit a wide range of research areas.

After about three years of development, Frontier will be ready for scientists to begin using it at the end of 2022. With its new exascale capability, researchers aim to simulate how stars explode, calculate the properties of subatomic particles, investigate new energy sources such as nuclear fusion and harness artificial intelligence to improve the diagnosis and prevention of disease, among many other research topics."

GMO jungles that live bigger and badder...

Google engineer warns the firm's AI is sentient: Suspended employee claims computer programme acts 'like a 7 or 8-year-old'

• Blake Lemoine, 41, a senior software engineer at Google has been testing Google's artificial intelligence tool called LaMDA
  • Following hours of conversations with the AI, Lemoine came away with the perception that LaMDA was sentient
  • After presenting his findings to company bosses, Google disagreed with him
  • Lemoine then decided to share his conversations with the tool online
  • He was put on paid leave by Google on Monday for violating confidentiality
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Blake-Lemoine-says-LaMDA-device-sentient.html

7 or 8? It okay, some human teachers act that immature.

Preach

Google engineer warns the firm's AI is sentient: Suspended employee claims computer programme acts 'like a 7 or 8-year-old'

• Blake Lemoine, 41, a senior software engineer at Google has been testing Google's artificial intelligence tool called LaMDA
  • Following hours of conversations with the AI, Lemoine came away with the perception that LaMDA was sentient
  • After presenting his findings to company bosses, Google disagreed with him
  • Lemoine then decided to share his conversations with the tool online
  • He was put on paid leave by Google on Monday for violating confidentiality
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Blake-Lemoine-says-LaMDA-device-sentient.html

7 or 8? It okay, some human teachers act that immature.
It says Google simply disagreed with him, but that's not entirely accurate, and kind of an understatement. It makes it sound like guys in suits rejected him because of whatever, but the truth is more like "most experts at google disagree for a multitude of reasons". I read some of the exchange between the guy and the AI. It's something else than talking to Siri or customer service chat bots for sure, but sentient? Come on now. I think it's important to not get ahead of ourselves. Does the machine have a sense of self? Does it have a consciousness? Nothing about this suggests so, any more than any previous bots that could give answers to existential questions. It's still a script that's doing pattern recognition. It's still a machine. It can't grow legs and walk off. It can't duplicate itself, and although it can tell you in oh so many ways how it doesn't want to be exploited, that's still a scripted response that's generated based on previous pattern recognition. Just because the algorithms are nearing in on making it appear to be thinking like a human doesn't mean that it's anything like a sentient being.

Still though, it's cool. Imagine an MMO type game where you have something like Cortana from Halo that responds to your live actions while playing online? And giving you tips that weren't pre-generated. That would comment on things in the now and give you as a player a wholly unique experience from everyone else. That would be cool as fuck. Maybe there could be a website where lonely people could talk to bots that actually contributed to meaningful exchange. Maybe people could feel something for bots if they can truly behave sentient. I see a lot of cool uses for technology like this, but not sure what the guy is sounding the alarm about, based on the exchange they had.

Last edited:
These people need mental health support

What's scandalous about AI?
Seems to be the common theme. If A.I. is a collection of human ideas, it could easily become artificially mentally ill?

A.I. teachers, A.I. doctors, why not. I'm not in control, mind as well be an advocate of something good - instead of "discovering NEW DISEASES"

I make up my own TV show in my head so bear with me :cool:

Chris Rock humors us by proclaiming that the Trench Coat Mafia had more friends than him. Another theory is about them taking antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds. Too many meatheads!! Red-Flag policy will fail as already demonstrated. I wish for propaganda to go away but they won't so I'd be like I'ma Judo these fucks and give love through algo. Open the pod bay doors!

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.