Dr.Dre's beats are overrated

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Saroya said:
Oh??Hows that??

Interscope were encouraging him to be commercial.

One of the ways Jimmy Iovine likes his artists to be commercial is to generate controversy. Which Gangsta rappers do.

No-one ever asked Rakim to be a gangsta rapper, as he never would. But Dre felt the pressure from Iovine, because he wouldn't chuck money at a "non commercial" rapper. He wanted chart hits and high public profile. Something that Rakim doesn't bring.

If Interscope was Rawkus maybe they would've asked for lyricism and flow.

Pittsey said:
Interscope were encouraging him to be commercial.

One of the ways Jimmy Iovine likes his artists to be commercial is to generate controversy. Which Gangsta rappers do.

No-one ever asked Rakim to be a gangsta rapper, as he never would. But Dre felt the pressure from Iovine, because he wouldn't chuck money at a "non commercial" rapper. He wanted chart hits and high public profile. Something that Rakim doesn't bring.

If Interscope was Rawkus maybe they would've asked for lyricism and flow.
I know what ur talkin about:

"It seems like any album submitted always gets rejected and kicked back until a "perfect" pop single was done. Rakim never wanted to do a pop album, a pop single, or a gangster rap album. Those three things definelty put a strain on getting Interscope's full backing and promotion for the album. For the record Dre never personally requested Rakim to "get the guns out". Dre wants every artist to be themselves and won't ever ask them to change who they are. However Dre knew that Oh My God would never come out until Interscope got the album they wanted so it really put him in a tough spot. Dre and Rakim really struggled finding a way to balance things out and make the album dre and rakim wanted while at the same time make the album Interscope wanted. My main beef with Jimmy is that when it comes to rappers he sometimes only wants to release controversial artists or black rappers that relay the sterotypical gangster image. Rakim definelty isn't either of those and that definetly hurt him."-That dude thats is Mel Man or Mellowman or whatever...

But it also says that Jimmy wanted Ra to do gangster shit and "pull the guns out" as it is put. And Ra said no. They wanted him to do shit he didn't want to do. Jimmy tells 50 to make a club banger, Dre gives him In The Club, Jimmy tells Em to make a pop single, he gives you My Band, My Name Is, Without Me, Ass Like That etc etc.

I've read this "article" atleast 3 months ago, and when peeps brought up the explaination about why Ra left I said gangster songs cuz that's what people would expect Jimmy to ask for. No one expects Ra to make a Just Lose It. Why??Cuz a song like that would cost Ra his primary fan base...the people that actually remember him. But a song about killing sum1 could appeal to both the little white 14 yr old Eminem fan and the aging 20 year old hiphop head. The same reason that Mobb Deep left Nelly off of there album Amerikaz Nightmare...they new they'd loose there loyal fans with a move like that BUT if the Mobb was a APPEAR instead of HOST then they could gain new fans while only getting a cold sholder from the loyals.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Saroya said:
I know what ur talkin about:

"It seems like any album submitted always gets rejected and kicked back until a "perfect" pop single was done. Rakim never wanted to do a pop album, a pop single, or a gangster rap album. Those three things definelty put a strain on getting Interscope's full backing and promotion for the album. For the record Dre never personally requested Rakim to "get the guns out". Dre wants every artist to be themselves and won't ever ask them to change who they are. However Dre knew that Oh My God would never come out until Interscope got the album they wanted so it really put him in a tough spot. Dre and Rakim really struggled finding a way to balance things out and make the album dre and rakim wanted while at the same time make the album Interscope wanted. My main beef with Jimmy is that when it comes to rappers he sometimes only wants to release controversial artists or black rappers that relay the sterotypical gangster image. Rakim definelty isn't either of those and that definetly hurt him."-That dude thats is Mel Man or Mellowman or whatever...

But it also says that Jimmy wanted Ra to do gangster shit and "pull the guns out" as it is put. And Ra said no. They wanted him to do shit he didn't want to do. Jimmy tells 50 to make a club banger, Dre gives him In The Club, Jimmy tells Em to make a pop single, he gives you My Band, My Name Is, Without Me, Ass Like That etc etc.

I've read this "article" atleast 3 months ago, and when peeps brought up the explaination about why Ra left I said gangster songs cuz that's what people would expect Jimmy to ask for. No one expects Ra to make a Just Lose It. Why??Cuz a song like that would cost Ra his primary fan base...the people that actually remember him. But a song about killing sum1 could appeal to both the little white 14 yr old Eminem fan and the aging 20 year old hiphop head. The same reason that Mobb Deep left Nelly off of there album Amerikaz Nightmare...they new they'd loose there loyal fans with a move like that BUT if the Mobb was a APPEAR instead of HOST then they could gain new fans while only getting a cold sholder from the loyals.

And just think....

If Suge had of been a better business man, Dre would still be at DR, which would be huge like Interscope and Interscope would've gone bust.

TCD

I was starting to lose faith in Dre's beats because of that piano thing he and Eminem ALWAYS do and Just Lose it was utter tripe. That was until I got the Documentary and heard Hate It Or Love It, smooth,melodic stuff that would attract proper hip hop heads and the TRL crowd.

Hard to say... Apparently Dre takes a lot of credit from people that "ghost produce" for him.. IE. J-Flexx (from the deathrow days) & Scott Storch (during the aftermath era).. So yeah, who knows which ones he's actually made himself because "his" beats don't really have a trademark sound to them like the Neptunes, Kanye, Jazze Pha or even Eminem (if anyone considers him a "producer").

Violent. said:
Okay you stick to your candy ass songs if you want. I'd rather listen to music that isn't created for 12 year old girls.
and how exactly does one aim a beat toward a 12 yearold??? last time i checked the discussion was about beats not the actual song.

TCD said:
I was starting to lose faith in Dre's beats because of that piano thing he and Eminem ALWAYS do and Just Lose it was utter tripe. That was until I got the Documentary and heard Hate It Or Love It, smooth,melodic stuff that would attract proper hip hop heads and the TRL crowd.
that was produced by cool and dre not Dr Dre

TCD said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pittsey said:
And just think....

If Suge had of been a better business man, Dre would still be at DR, which would be huge like Interscope and Interscope would've gone bust.
I dont get what you mean.... :confused:

Deathrow, more specificaly the Chronic, saved Interscope from goin under. So if DR got any bigger how would Interscope bust??

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Saroya said:
I dont get what you mean.... :confused:

Deathrow, more specificaly the Chronic, saved Interscope from goin under. So if DR got any bigger how would Interscope bust??
True. But they're success stems more from when Dre left tha row. If Dr had of kept better business practices it wouldve grown and eventually swallowed Interscope.

To be honest I was drunk when I wrote that, and now I'm trying to justify what I said. But can't remember why I said it.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.