Gangstarr ...finished :(

linx

Staff member
SOHH.com: What exactly is going on with Gangstarr? You guys broke up or still together?

Guru: It's not a breaking up kind of thing. It's just ended. We went to the Zenith of where it's gonna go. I wanna leave it as a legacy, not milk it or start trying to tour and trying to get some money and end up burying the whole shit, because that's what happens. It's just like that champion who keeps going back into the ring who gets knocked out, and it's not always the champions fault, but the ones who egg them on to get back in the ring. So for me, I wanted to start a new legacy. There's no beef, no emotionality. That's it.
http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/7491

Truely a sad day for hip hop if you ask me.

roaches

The day The Ownerz dropped was a sadder day.

They've solidified their place in hip-hop. Step in the Arena -> Moment of Truth essential albums. I place them in the ranks... somewhere above De La Soul. Consistently great work for about a decade. Only Jay-Z can claim a run like that, and maybe the aforementioned De La (depends on what you think of Stakes Is High, I guess).

The.Menace

Staff member
I wanna leave it as a legacy, not milk it or start trying to tour and trying to get some money and end up burying the whole shit,
I'm sad that it's over but again, these are wise words. Guru is the man. :) Really. Before they fuck their work up cause they aren't down with passion, it's better to leave it like this.

No matter what I still got love for them.

TheCat

dimos06 said:
'The Ownerz' remains one of the best albums that dropped in 2003 to me. I'm sad but I think they took the right decision. :(

deffinetly...

am sure once a blue moon, Guru will still drop some Gangstarr tracks on his solo tours,. its a must

its sad but Guru is right.
Guru was in Bulgaria at 4 august wit his brother Solar n his dj,they did a great concert.
Big respect fo Guru n everything he does fo this rap game.
One Luv !

roaches

I would still like to see a farewell tour or something of the sort.
Gang Starr live =

Guru, drunk, yelling at everyone and threatening to kick their asses

DJ Premier standing behind his turntables, yelling half of Guru's bars for him, and then screaming all of the vocals he scratches in his choruses (There is nothing more embarrassing than hip-hop legends yelling "wicka-wicka" to imitate the sound of a scratch).

Both of them complaining about how the tour is going after each show to the press.

PDT

Word to Roaches. Man, very few people stayed consistent and relevant from like 89 to now, you got Gang Starr, De La, Scarface and Masta Ace, that's about it.

Glad to hear they're doing it before they fuck up the past shit they've done, even though I still think they should have dropped another album. Hopefully these Guru solos keep dropping and Primo keeps producing.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.